Pages

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Food Allergies - Freaking Annoying and Inconvenient!

Jill here. Because I'm tracking my food intake and lack of physical exercise, I thought I should start noting my allergies and other health issues. I have many food allergies ranging from annoying to severe to serious. I have an Epi-Pen.

I'm careful when I go to restaurants. I know what I can eat and what I can't and I stick to safe food items. But even with my super-cautious nature, I can get blind-sided. Today was one of those days.

Breakfast out at a local restaurant we frequent at least twice weekly. I have the same breakfast every time- bacon, eggs, brown toast, hash browns and watermelon (it being one of the few fruits I can safely eat)

Today I had sausage which I've had at this restaurant on previous visits. And I had a huge allergic reaction to something. What, I don't know.

See the itchy "hive" bits? 
My tongue and throat and mouth inside and out got super itchy, burning and my throat felt thick. It was pretty bad. I have no idea what triggered it! Was it cross-contamination from another food? Was it the sausage? Was it from the spray Jack used on my boots earlier today?

I have many environmental allergies too and have to avoid certain paints, perfumes, sprays, caulking materials,  varnishes and so on.  Jack took my new suede boots outside to spray them but brought them in to dry. Did that trigger a reaction?


Little "hives" on tip of tongue
Or that lasagne I made last night! I had a reaction to that too - way too much cheese and the wrong kinds for me. I have a cheese allergy but can get away with mild cheddar and parmesan in moderate quantities. I'm also allergic to tomatoes but again in moderation I'm okay. I was stupid and added mozzarella which I know bothers me! And too much cheese so I had a super itchy mouth and little "hives" on my tongue last night after taking a couple of bites. I told Jack I won't be eating more of it (a no-brainer, right?) so it's gonna be frozen for him to enjoy.

So maybe today my immune system was in high alert and jumped at every little thing? I wish I knew. I'm gonna be nervous to have breakfast there again without my epi-pen handy. Yeah that's another thing. I left it at home.



No comments:

Post a Comment